Sunday 14 December 2014

Random ‘Mary Scott’ Thoughts


By MARY SCOTT

Here’s something I saw on my way out today. It got me thinking and I thought to share with you guys...

So I sight this young girl wearing a blue top; something was written on it and, yeah, being a ‘reading’ freak and all, I couldn’t resist the temptation to read what was written on it. Now, we’re all familiar with the latest trend in fashion, as per tops. I’m talking about the various messages printed on tops these days; “Touch my soul, not my body”, “No romance without finance”, “Call my name”… the list is endless. Some are outrightly disgusting and suggestive that you wonder how a sane person could put it on.



Back to my story, this girl’s message was “For good luck, rub my tummy”. Hmm! It was almost funny; “ALMOST”. It was a new one and it almost made me laugh. Again, “ALMOST”. Her message got me thinking again, as I’ve always done every time I’ve come across these ‘funny’ messages. I like to tag our generation the ‘It doesn’t matter’ generation. Nowadays, everything doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter what messages our outfits carry; talk is cheap, right? WRONG! TALK IS NOT CHEAP; it’s a part of your packaging. 

What you are on the outside communicates to those who see you what you’re likely to be on the inside. Did I hear you say “don’t judge a book by its cover”? Yeah, yeah, yeah… don’t we all? We all do! 

Unconsciously, we all do judge a book by its cover. Would you attend a job interview wearing an outfit with an indecent message? Why won’t you? Oh, I forgot, you’re out to impress. You know you’ll be walked out if you appeared indecent, even if you had all the qualities they wanted. See? Packaging DOES matter. 

Here’s something for thought: I throw a diamond engagement ring in its fancy exquisite box into the trash can. What would you call me? Crazy, eh? Well, I thought so too...

What if the diamond ring in question was wrapped in used moi-moi leaves? You wouldn’t still call me crazy, would you?

Well, that settles it. I leave this matter in your hands...
Think on it!

2 comments:

  1. Nice write-up Scott, keep it up.... I remember sometime ago, my sister and I saw a guy putting on a shirt with "Ibo boy with a lasgidi attitude" written on it and I'm like WT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tx Tari!
    I never cease to be amazed at the LEWD or outrightly SILLY messages on some peeps' outfits...

    Am like, what are they thinking ABEG!!!?

    ReplyDelete